A Discussion Hosted by The Village Free Press and a Networking Hour Featuring Loyola University Medical Students and Access Community Health Network. Click For More Info:
By Michael Romain
SATURDAY, MAYWOOD — In the wake of the Maywood Public Library’s recent closing and reopening, State Rep. Emanuel “Chris” Welch created a Maywood Library Advisory Committee, comprising concerned citizens and representatives from the Village’s various taxing districts.
“I am […] forming a Maywood Library Advisory Committee to s[how] that we can research long-term solutions and to make sure residents can voice their concerns,” said Welch.
“I sent a letter to all of the governmental entities and they recommended representatives,” Welch said when asked about the selection process. “Some of those on the committee reached out of me directly.”
The committee will convene either next week or the week afterward to come up with recommendations to present to the library’s board of directors.
“We want those doors to stay open,” he said. “We do not want the library to close ever again.”
The Committee’s members include:
- Representative Chris Welch, 7th
- Senator Kimberly Lightford, 4th
- Maywood Library Board Member Rev. Elliott Wimbush
- Maywood Executive Director Stan Huntington
- District 209 Board Member Theresa Kelly
- District 209 Board Member Theresa McKelvy
- District 89 Board Member Loretta Gustello
- District 89 Board Member Veronica Bonilla-Lopez
- Maywood Park District Executive Director Enoch Clarke-Bey
- Maywood Park District Board Member Bill Hampton
- Maywood Mayor Edwenna Perkins
- Maywood Trustee Michael Rogers
- Rev. Reginald Saffold, United Faith Bible College
- Isiah Brandon, Youth On the Move, Community Representative VFP