By Gwendolyn Young
How can young women improve in today’s society? –Ready to Grow
Dear Ready to Grow:
What an inspiring question. It demonstrates that you’re ready to do your part in creating a better society for women. To answer your question, there are several ways young women can improve in today’s society. If you are speaking from a personal perspective, here are a few tips:
- Continue to increase your knowledge. Never stop learning.
- Love yourself! By doing so, you’ll position yourself to help other young women realize their own worth. Note: 75 percent of girls with low self-esteem reported engaging in negative activities like cutting, bullying, smoking and drinking. This compares with only 25 percent of girls with high-esteem.
- Be a person of integrity with your actions, words and deeds.
If you’re asking from a corporate and/or community standpoint, here are a few tips:
- Obtain the highest level of education you can.
- Pursue the highest level of leadership within your chosen career field. Women have more opportunities to effect change when they sit at the highest levels of leadership.
- Pursue leadership positions in your community, state, country and world. Run for office or serve on a board of directors.
- Mentor another young woman and nurture her to success.
- Get involved with a great cause (whether educational, environmental, economic, or other) and identify what role you can play in that cause.
- And last, but certainly not least, embrace the power of womanhood. Being a woman, being a lady, is an absolutely amazing thing! We are beautiful, intelligent and delicate creatures crafted with a portion of strength like no other being.
I hope everything works out for you! VFP
This column is not meant to be a substitute for professional medical, legal or financial advice. Questions may be submitted anonymously or via pseudonym to firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com. Gwendolyn Young, M.A., C.P.C., is the Executive Director of Seed of Hope Foundation, a nonprofit girls mentoring organization based in Westchester, IL.
SEEDING THE GREATNESS IN YOU!