Maywood to Make Energy Efficient Upgrades to 670 Street Lights

ComEd workerWednesday, March 8, 2017 || By Michael Romain || @maywoodnews

Soon, Maywood residents will be seeing differently in the dark.

During a March 7 regular meeting, the Maywood Board of Trustees unanimously approved a contact with two companies, H & H Electric and Twin Supplies, LTD, that will result in the replacement of 670 lighting fixtures — 470 cobra head and 200 post top lighting fixtures — throughout Maywood with newer, energy efficient, LED technology technology.

The total cost of the project amounts to $373,035, with 75 percent of that total covered by incentive rebates the village will obtain through the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity. The village will pay for the remaining 25 percent.

According to the contract, Maywood will also contribute the traffic control, signage and security during the installation process.

The new lighting fixtures, which will be installed by May, will be retrofitted with technology that allows them to come on as soon as it gets dark, as opposed to running on a timer, said Maywood Public Works Director John West during a March 1 Legal, License and Ordinance Committee (LLOC) meeting.

West said the new lighting fixtures will go up along non-IDOT [Illinois Department of Transportation] streets.

“So anything except for First Ave., Roosevelt Rd., Chicago Ave. and a small part of 19th Ave.,” West said, adding that the new fixtures will provide the same luminosity for less money.

This is the just the latest upgrade to Maywood’s energy grid. Last April, ComEd officials installed energy efficient, smart-ready LED lighting on more than 380 ComEd-owned streetlights throughout Maywood.

The village was one of 50 municipalities in the state to receive the technology upgrade, which was provided through ComEd’s Smart Ideas Energy Efficiency Program.  VFP

Photo above: A ComEd worker installing an LED light fixture last April. | Photo submitted

For more local news, ‘Like’ VFP on Facebook



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.