Thursday, July 18, 2019 || By Community Editor || @maywoodnews
The National Weather Service has issued an excessive heat warning for Thursday, Friday and Saturday, with the maximum heat index expected to reach up to 112 on Saturday.
“The combination of hot temperatures and high humidity will combine to create a dangerous situation in which heat illnesses are possible,” the National Weather Service explained.
Cooling centers near you
Here’s a limited list of facilities near you that have been officially designated cooling centers:
- Oak Street Health, 456 S. 25th Ave. in Bellwood, will open itself up for anyone seeking cooler temperatures from July 17 to July 21. They’re open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, and 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Saturday. For more info, contact: (708) 467-7254
- Maywood Courthouse, 1500 Maybrook Dr. in Maywood, will be open 24 hours continuously until 7 p.m. on July 20. For more info, click here.
- Council Chambers, 125 S. 5th Ave. in Maywood, will be utilized by Maywood Police as a cooling center on July 19, 1:30 p.m. to 9 p.m., and July 20, 12 p.m. to 9 p.m. For more info, call (708) 450-4408.
- Proviso Township, 4565 Harrison St. in Hillside, will be open as a cooling center from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on July 19. It’s closed on the weekends.
Tips for staying cool from the Cook County Dept. of Homeland Security
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Try to stay in the shade or indoors as much as possible
- If working outside, take frequent breaks, preferably in an air-conditioned space
- Check on elderly neighbors and those with functional needs
- Take pets indoors and make sure they have plenty of water
- Never leave children or pets unattended in a vehicle